Okay, okay… I’ve had so many requests for this recipe here it is!
This soup is so rich, so yummy, so quick and oh so easy. In 20 minutes you’ll be sitting down to this most amazing soup. This is a recipe that you definitely don’t need any measurements. Just make it to taste. I originally saw it when I was watching David Rocco’s Dolce Vita cooking show. As usual I’ll give you the exact recipe with notes on my changes. Have fun & Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped (I leave them a little bigger)
- 1 (14 0z.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I cook my own. Just put maybe 2 cups of chickpeas in a bowl with plenty of water and put it in the fridge over night. Next day cook the chickpeas in the same water, maybe add a bit more, with salt to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried but you might want to chop it up a little)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Grated Parmigiano Cheese, optional
In a sauce pan, heat up the olive oil. Add the onions and gently saute until lightly golden, then add the chickpeas, rosemary, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and with the back of a fork (I actually use a potato masher) mash 1/3 of the chickpeas or to your desired texture ( I mash about 2/3). Return to heat and add the water and cook for approximately 15 minutes (or till your desired thickness).
A drizzle of olive oil and fresh gratings of Parmigiano cheese is optional before serving.