On this lazy football Sunday I’m dreaming of comfort food and the first recipe that comes to mind is my Macaroni & Cheese. So easy and quick to prepare I won’t miss one snap!
- 1 1/2 cups medium-sized dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fine dry Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof baking dish.
- Heat a pot of lightly salted water over medium heat, and when it is boiling, cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse, drain again and set aside in the baking dish
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet. Saute onions and green pepper till soft. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Add the pinch of nutmeg. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Add the cheese to the white sauce, and stir until smooth. If needed, reheat the cheese over low heat to melt, and season to taste. Pour the sauce over the macaroni in the casserole, stir to mix well. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and lightly browned on top. Serve hot from oven.
Per Serving: 300 CAL; 14G PROT; 15G FAT; 28G CARB; 45MG CHOL; 500MG SOD; 1G FIBER